According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) there are around 250,000 serious hand, finger, and wrist injuries in private industry per year including approximately 8,000 amputations.
All 3 of the above pictures came about as a result of hand tools being used inappropriately with “best work methods” not always being followed. All 3 injuries were 100% preventable. Don’t let your employees become these pictures – Proper training, tools and guidance will bring your company closer to the drive to Zero. Please share this blog with your workers to improve awareness and reduce workplace injuries.
Some real life accident causes:
- Using the wrong sized tool for the job.
- Attempting to lift too heavy weight
- Using a spanner or wrench as a hammer.
- Handling round objects leading to pinching, crushing
- Hammering on ring spanners.
- Over reaching to do a job and the spanner slipping.
- Flying objects from tools in bad condition.
- Tools falling from heights.
Five basic safety rules apply when working around power tools:
- Keep all tools in good condition with regular maintenance
- Use the right tool for the job
- Examine each tool for damage before use and never use damaged tools
- Operate tools according to the manufacturers’ instructions
- Provide and use (properly) the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the application.
Hand injuries are ALWAYS preventable. The costs of proper training and PPE far outweigh the cost of injuries. Contact your Arbill representative today to discuss training and PPE needs to keep your employees safe. We publish our Safety Blog 3 times each week - We would love to hear your thoughts. Please contact us with your safety questions and we will gladly respond in a blog. Arbill.com is a great resource for information on how to achieve a culture of safety in your workplace - visit often.