At least 90% of all workplace accidents, injuries, illness and fatalities are preventable (the remaining 10% accounts for the human factor). There’s always something that can be done to reduce or completely eliminate risks and hazardous situation in your facility.
When it comes to ensuring the safety of your workers, it all begins with good preparation -- both in overall efforts for awareness and with a laser focus on site-specific hazards that are present as well.
A solid plan for safety preparation comes down to the following three factors:
1. Risk Assessment And Site Preparation:
Some jobs come with more risks than others. That’s why it’s important to conduct a risk assessment of each job prior to commencing any work. Consider hazards that may impact work, such as live wires, working at heights, working on brittle surfaces, confined spaces and heat stress, to name just a few.
Site preparation simply means preparing the site for the work that’s to be done there. Here are some questions to ask in regards to site preparation:
- Do site occupants need advice on any hazards or risks?
- Is there adequate lighting for the work area?
- Have we posted enough safety signage?
- Is all equipment ready to use?
- Is there anything to slip, trip or fall over?
Risk assessment and site preparation is largely centered on assessing and controlling hazards.
2. Proper Safety Training
There are two tiers of training to take the proper precautionary measures for you facility:
Because every job poses it’s own unique set of safety risks, specific training relevant to the job ensures workers know how to deal with hazardous situations and remain safety if or when they arrive.
General, ongoing safety training teaches your workers the importance of preparation and fosters a culture of workplace safety. It also makes workers aware of everything going on in the workplace, not just in their particular area.
Safety training includes everything from more formal on-site classes to something that’s as seemingly simple as showing a worker how to safely operate a piece of machinery.
3. Wearing The Correct Safety Equipment
Prepare workers to be safe on the job by making sure they’re wearing the required personal protective equipment (PPE) in any and all hazardous situations. This safety equipment protects your workers and decreases the risk of workplace injuries.
If PPE is to be used, a PPE program should be implemented. This program should address the hazards present, the selection, maintenance and use of PPE, and training and monitoring of the program to ensure its ongoing effectiveness.
Prepping your workplace for safety on an ongoing day-to-day basis ensures you are integrating the message and values into your work culture. When safety is carried out through every process, everyone in your facility remains consistent in the collective effort to send every worker home safe, every day.
Ready learn more about how to prepare you facility for complete workplace safety? Call 800-523-5367 or click on the button below to speak with a workplace safety specialist at Arbill.