Hi everyone, Happy Friday.
This week we discussed how to avoid eye injuries and how to select proper eyewear to help prevent approximately 90% of eye injuries in the workplace. For the other 10%, Eye injuries can cause serious vision loss. It is very important to recognize an eye injury and appropriately respond to it immediately as delayed attention can result in permanent vision loss or blindness.
Signs of eye injury:
- The person has obvious pain or trouble seeing
- The person has a cut or torn eyelid
- One dye does not move as well as the other
- One eye sticks out compared to the other
- The eye has an unusual pupil size or shape
- There is blood in the clear part of the eye
- The person has something in the eye or under the eyelid that can’t be easily removed
How to manage an eye injury on the job:
- If the eye is injured, keep calm and treat the wound as soon as possible.
- Don’t rub the eye. Rubbing the eye could damage the cornea.
- Flush the eye immediately with copious amounts of clean water for about 15 minutes. This is wear your eyewash station comes in to play. This will aid in removing any foreign objects and, contact lens, m or to dilute any chemicals.
- Cover the eye loosely with a clean, soft dressing.
- For injuries caused by blows to the head, apply a cold compress without pressure or tape crushed ice in a plastic bag to the forehead and allow it to rest gently on the injured eye.
- Reduce eye movement to avoid further damage.
- After the initial treatment, transfer the victim to the hospital immediately for further management.
Arbill’s mission is to ensure that every worker goes home safe at the end of every day. We are here to help making sure you have the correct safety supplies and services. Visit Arbill.com for more information. Be sure to subscribe to the Arbill Safety BLOG or visit us on Monday for another week of blogging. Have a wonderful weekend and stay safe!