Winter presents a number of challenges, both indoors and out, in the workplace. Winter weather can make travel to and from work dangerous and colder temperatures can cause health problems for employees. It is important to take the necessary steps to protect your employees and prevent injuries.
Below are some tips to help keep your employees safe this winter
- Make sure that your parking lot is plowed and walkways are shoveled and sanded before workers report to work
- Ask employees to be extra cautious when driving and avoid traveling in bad conditions, such as sleet and snow
- Remind employees to remove snow and ice from their cars before they begin driving
- Tell employees to look out for ice when walking; and slightly squat to keep balance and avoid falling
- Avoid using space heaters in the office, especially near paper or other flammables
- Regularly inspect your heating system and make sure it is working properly
- Be cautious about asking employees to shovel; if they injure themselves you are responsible
If you do ask employees to shovel, here are precautions they need to take:
- Encourage them to stretch beforehand
- Avoid consuming anything that increases the heart rate, especially caffeine and nicotine
- Tell them to start slowly, work at a steady pace and take frequent breaks
- Remind them to stay hydrated as dehydration can cause dizziness and even fainting
- Use a small lightweight shovel with a curved handle, designed to take the strain off the back
- Teach proper lifting technique; stand with feet apart slightly and make sure to bend the knees
- Wear multiple layers for insulation and cover the head and hands, to guard against frostbite
Arbill has the safety products, safety programs and training you need to protect your employees this winter. For more information on our complete line of winter products , contact your Arbill rep or call 800-523-5367.
Have a Safe Day!